Tuesday, September 22, 2009

How to Be an Artist

As so many people know, I'm the kind of person who will accomplish a task without hesitation or procrastination. For years I've been dedicating myself to activism and the not-for-profit community with all this enthusiasm and spirit. After ten years of intense volunteerism and a little bit of employment, I've found my focus shifting. I've taken the past year to re-assess and in that I've determined the path for me is to do the two things I've been dreaming about since I was a child:


Art and writing.


I have the Youth Animation Project and my psychologist to thank for a lot of it, as well as my family. I've received so much support from those who know and love me, always hearing that my art and writing is incredible and should be shared with the world. After making 'Affinity' I realized how feasible it was to have that creative job. I'm not going to rely on this initially, in order to pace myself with it, but it's hugely exciting to think that, in a few years time I will be doing this full-time.


I have no doubts that this is an achievable goal, purely because the number one piece of advice I see from successful authors and artists is "Stick to it". It's the dreamers who get cast aside, the ones with an idea but no real motivation. The sort of people who think "One day I'll win the lottery" instead of thinking "I'm going to make myself a millionaire" drop out of the game. It's the relentless ones with a passion too strong to extinguish who move forward, learning and growing and expanding their horizons.


As my beautiful new tattoo says, as the ever so wise and clever Gandhi said:


"Be the change you want to see."




No comments:

Post a Comment

Express yourself here
criticize constructively
I am receptive