Thursday, September 30, 2010

October is around the corner

I'm about to enter my tenth month in the UK.

When I came over in January I had a pretty solid idea of what I was going to do. I would get a part-time job in an art shop, or some other art related place, whilst focusing on my art and blogging. I was going to get some stuff edited and possibly look into publication.

Some of my plan has stayed the same. This is probably because the essence of it was to expand my skills, shake up my world and find as many new things as possible.

The aspect of London as lesson plan hadn't occurred to me but has worked out quite well. In addition to the self-directed art history, feminist and geography studies, I am now stepping back into the classroom. I've not been in the classroom since graduating from High School in 2003. Even my time at the Youth Animation Project was very un-school-like.

I have registered myself for a course at Chelsea College, where I will learn the basics of Illustrator, In Design and Photoshop. I start next week and I'm actually feeling pretty excited about it. I didn't intend to look into this side of my creative skills but I like the idea of being able to do more marketable creative work to pay for the self-expressive stuff and to see how skills with computer graphic design can help with some other projects and ideas bouncing in my head.

It is interesting to me that this temping business I managed to pick-up has inadvertently led to a lot of this creative exploration. Obviously the art shop idea didn't pan out and to be honest, I couldn't be happier. I'm appreciated for my administrative skills but getting a lot of encouragement to keep my creativity going. It's going to be interesting to see where it leads in the next few months and in the mean time, it's a significant enough pay cheque that I can cover the cost of this course on top of all those basic nitty-gritty things.

I really didn't imagine this was where I'd be in October when I arrived in January. I do love that unpredictability of life. If it was predictable it would be boring and there'd be no room for growth.

No comments:

Post a Comment

Express yourself here
criticize constructively
I am receptive