Monday, April 26, 2010

The Devil Be With You....


In tarot most of the cards can't be labelled as 'good' or 'bad'. They represent something different depending on where they fall and what spread you're using. Sometimes it might be representing a path you've already taken and it serves as a reminder to make wise choices.

The Devil is no different in that regard, but it is one of the darkest cards of the Tarot Deck. It's difficult to argue what the Devil represents. Whether you believe in one or not... he's not meant to be particularly nice.

The best way for me to explain the card is to compare it to Temperance. Temperance is the ability to find a perfect balance...to walk the middle path or achieve the Golden Mean. The Devil is complete imbalance. He is a blind card stumbling along through a twisted path of rubble. He represents unpleasant chaos.
My goal to complete every Major Arcana in the Tarot Deck requires me to do cards with a darker side. I am by no means a negative or 'dark' person, but I'm quite looking forward to doing the Devil. Not only have my fans told me they want to see it, but I myself am curious to find out what the canvas will reveal in time.
I taped it off last night, in preparation for sketching. I'm beginning my usual round of research, studying different decks and comparing notes to ensure I include the key symbols. I've chosen the animal already, an animal I picked out months ago. I won't yet reveal it though. Keep watching on my website as it will soon join the ranks of Recent Work.
Thank you to all my fans for their input. I really enjoyed asking what you wanted to see and as The Sun and The Moon were close seconds to The Devil, they will likely be my next cards of choice.

No comments:

Post a Comment

Express yourself here
criticize constructively
I am receptive