Sunday, April 25, 2010

English Camping

I went camping in England! Some might think this isn't possible and I admit, I had my doubts. England is a tiny country with a large population. Certainly, there are farming communities and therefore areas with greater isolation, but that's all relative.

Growing up in Canada and having gone camping in Canada, (Proper camping...none of this mamby-pamby 'I need running water' business.) I equate it with being at least an hour away from anything.

English Camping was explained to me as 'pitching a tent on someones property'. In this case the property belonged to Guy Mallinson, a green woodworker who was featured on MasterCrafts on the BBC. My girlfriend would be participating in one of the many courses he had to offer and I would be taking advantage of the holiday and some further exploration. I didn't imagine where we were headed would be particularly wooded or private, but I wasn't really fussed. Camping has less to do with the location and more to do with the complete break it offers. For me camping has been about exploring, reading, napping in the sun and doodling in a sketchbook. When I was a kid I would go on adventures, find streams to muck about in and climb trees to dangerous heights.

On this particular trip my mindset was to get as much sun as possible, enjoy a lot of delicious food and see how many books I could finish reading.

The first surprise occurred before we even got there. As we wound our way down to Dorset it became apparent that we were going to pass by Stonehenge. First there were a few signs directing the way and then, over the rise of a hill and around a bend, there it was.

It seemed almost surreal, sitting there in what looked like farmers fields. It was obviously too good to pass up so we crossed the motorway and took the road down to the tourist centre. Getting closer it's easier to see how it's been fenced off and whilst it does sit amongst the farmers fields (surrounded with sheep, in this case.) the actual sight has been enclosed and separated.

It was windy and a bit chilly so I wasn't able to linger as long as I'd have liked, but I snapped gobs of photos and truly marvelled at the mechanics of it. To think it had been assembled in the stone age was incredible. My only disappointment is that the stones are so fenced off. I would have loved to be able to sit amongst them, pondering their placement or just letting my mind fall blank. I think it would be an incredible place to meditate too, but as it is a few have spoiled it for the many. Some names carved in the stone and a short fence and many signs reading 'Do No Cross' keep Stonehenge at a gazing distance.

The wind spurred us on and we returned to the car to continue our journey through the West Country.

England really is beautiful and the view of the sky and sloping hills of the countryside as you drive down to the coast are both breathtaking and quaint. It was a marvelous trip down made no less wonderful by the arrival at our destination. The parking area was at the top of a hill and a line of trees blocked the view of where the camping was. All my doubts about English camping were left behind as I stepped through those trees on to the path down to the workshop.

Guy has done a brilliant job of setting up an outdoor space in which to teach his woodworking skills. There are three round stretched canvas 'ceilings' creating three sheltered work spaces. A rectangular 'ceiling' provides the cover for the kitchen area, where Guy took us to make tea as soon as introductions were done. This kitchen is completely kitted out with a dishwasher, two sinks, fridge and stove. It overlooks a pond with a small duck house in it.

We took our tea and had a bit of a tour around. Guy showed us the loos, which have a grass covered roof, and the new outdoor shower he'd just put in. The shower was incredible, actually. It's a 'living' shower so in a few months time it will sprout leaves over the top and create an extra bushy shelter.

Down the path at the lowest point of the property were the camp sights. We picked the largest one and then went back up to finish our tea and have a little rest after the long drive. Guy had to get back to working on a project he was doing so we were left to our own devices. Sitting on some stumps stuck in a circle around a fire pit, we took in the patch of wood we were sat in. Below us the pond glinted in the sun. Three ducks came wandering up the path, curious to find out who we were. They're Indian Runner Ducks, as we later learned, and they were a constant delight throughout the entire camping trip.
The rest of the day was spent doing what needs to be done when camping: Pitching tent and settling in. Dinner was chicken and salad and the later evening was spent by the fire, enjoying a sky that wasn't obliterated by light pollution.

The next day I was left to my own devices. I was already learning a lot about camping in this country. I can now identify a pheasant by it's call (They're very loud and not too courteous when one is trying to sleep.) and I know how to spot a wren, the smallest of small birds I've ever seen.

I went exploring around the edge of the wood, along a path Guy told me should be good fun. He said to watch out for faerie houses so I brought my camera and set out. The path took me by the edge of the farmers field that runs up against the wooded property. Several lambs were playing in the field, bleating loudly as they ran about in the sun.

I found my first faerie house whilst trying to get nearer the lambs for a good shot. They kept running off though and as I was maneuvering myself between to trees I spotted this lovely little abode.

In total I found about six, although it was hard to say if some of them were only one or simply different rooms built around the roots of the same tree. Regardless, it inspired me and I set about gathering sticks, bark, leaves and reeds. I made my own contribution, which I hung in a tree above one of the many streams that ran down the length of the property.


I'm happy to say I did manage to capture a clear photo of the lambs eventually. Later in the day they were being fed and I went up to see if they were going to be less nervous about my presence. They were entirely curious about me and I was able to capture them in a short video, as well as this shot, which I'm really pleased with.

The next day I finished reading two books and started another. I'm reading 'The Book of Dead Philosophers', which I'm finding absolutely brilliant. I spent the better part of the day sitting in the sun, occasionally setting my book down so I could chat with the ducks. They were extremely sociable, although a bit nervous on occasion. I fed them a few handfuls of their duck food. After that I often found myself as parade master, as the three of them would toodle along after me making all their delightfully ducky sounds.
There really wasn't much else to the trip. I brought my sketchbook and did a bit of work on some different projects, but mostly I took the time to just be. I think that's what proper camping is about anyway. When you're away from the traffic and bustle of a city there's no need to try and duplicate it. Camping is about drinking big mugs of tea whilst settling in with a book. It's recharging in the sun, exploring in the woods and learning something new about a world you wouldn't otherwise notice.
I feel as though I'm bursting with inspiration now, but I'm also feeling balanced and serene. I have a lot on the go now-a-days, between my artwork, writing, temping and exploration. It's all about balance though, and an escape to some woods is a great way to find that reminder.

No comments:

Post a Comment

Express yourself here
criticize constructively
I am receptive