Wednesday, April 7, 2010

London Journal - Three Months In

"Love is the best reason to move somewhere."
-Ocean Leroy

Today I took the train from the place I'm temping to Camden. The stained glass class I attend is located at the end of Camden market. The walk from the station takes me through the main street.

To avoid the droves of people I stay on the sidewalk edge, close to the road. Everyone else is looking at the shops, mesmerised by the abundance of knick knacks they can buy. Greasy punks with Mohawks and piercings stand with signs pointing to the various tattoo parlours. The smell of frying food penetrates the cool air.

My steps are self assured.

I know this place. Although I've only been here a short time, I feel that I fit. On the underground or on the street, in the crowds or the echoing emptiness of a museum, I feel like a Londoner. I know I'm not really. If you live in London it seems you don't actually experience London. So many people here tell me they've only been to one of two museums, never taken in the theatre and haven't a clue how to navigate the underground if it isn't their particular line.

It's a unique perspective I hold. I'm a resident so the tourist image doesn't fit me. I'm here to explore and discover, certainly, but I'm here for a long time. I have a home here...I even brought my cat over with me. I'm establishing myself in little ways. I'm making friends, finding venues at which to perform my drag, setting up my art and finding comfort in re-visiting favourite spots.

In January I was still stunned, finding my footing and learning to adjust to the change in time and altitude.

In February I was desperate for friendship, missing the ability to just converse. Lonely in a city of millions.

In March I found a groove. I set about doing as much art as I could, blogging and marketing myself. I found things to keep me busy, met new people, accomplished a few fun projects and hooked up a position with a temp agency that fulfills the requirements of my Visa.

It's April and I don't know what this month holds yet. Promise of income is a relief as a trip to Amsterdam for my twenty-fifth birthday rapidly approaches. Recognition of my artwork in local circles gives me moments of *glee*. And last night? A performance on stage at Wotever, since I do oh so love doing drag.

Such promise, such opportunity, such potential.

Three months means this adventure has only just begun. But those three months went by awful quick and two years really isn't that long in the scheme of things. Must remember to savour every moment and take advantage of it all. Don't want to become like those real Londoners and feel complacent about this place. It is a wonderful place and I'm so happy it chose me.

No comments:

Post a Comment

Express yourself here
criticize constructively
I am receptive