Sunday, April 4, 2010

A Quick Sketch

Generally my style of art is cartoonish or anthropomorphic. I use bright colours and even my more realistic pieces are more of an illustration than a depiction of a real life image.

But when it comes to pencil sketches of animals I find myself drawn (pardon the pun) to a style very unlike my usual. I love capturing the softness of fur and I find pencil allows me to do this extremely well. When I sit down to sketch an animal I usually have it in my head that it will be extremely labourious and even frustrating. I choose a photograph and then I work out the basic outline of it. Almost every time I find myself producing a sketch from start to finish in under thirty minutes. I'm generally always pleased with the result and quite often stunned that it was something I did. I'm quite proud of my last two, especially given the difficulty of sketching a mostly black cat.

So here they are, Gert and Mabel... two lovely London cats.

No comments:

Post a Comment

Express yourself here
criticize constructively
I am receptive