Monday, May 30, 2011

Music is Soul Food - Kait's Mixtape


First of all, credit where credit is due. I would like to thank Lady Gaga for her lyrics. Quite simply, I couldn't have put it better.

In preparing for my 'Dance You Fools, Dance!' performance art project, I've been listening to a lot of music, old and new. I've been listening for catchy things that not only feature great lyrics, but also have a beat and a rhythm that makes my blood fizz and my legs twitch. Songs that make me really want to dance, no matter the setting or timing, just for the sake of it because dancing is beautiful and feels brilliant.

"My mama told me when I was young
We are all born superstars"

I think lyrics are very important though, and one of the songs I chose has actually become one of my current anthems. I've had many anthems in my time and intend to have many more. What qualifies as an anthem is a song which, to me, states something I believe or am passionate about in a poetic way set to music. They are songs which fall into the category of: I wish I'd written that!

They are everything I admire about people with musical talent.

"There's nothing wrong with lovin' who you are,
She said, cuz he made you perfect babe."

It's this ability to put words to music that I admire because I think, when words are shared in this way, they can be so powerful. Here's a song that is topping charts, causing a lot of controversy and discussion, but ultimately, stating a lot of really positive messages. These are messages that I hope I share in the way I live my life. They are things I believe in quite strongly and truths about embracing what we are given and doing the best with what we have. It's about believing that you are worthy of your own love and compassion.

"I'm on the right track, baby,
I was born to survive"

Life is for living and we will never be given more than we can handle. I believe in the power of a good imagination. I think a lack of imagination can cause a lot of grief. In one of my young adult novels I look at how a lack of imagination is the reason one of my characters is a cutter. She is unable to imagine a life outside of her suffering.

Life shouldn't be lived by making excuses. It's about seeing opportunities for growth, for discovery, for learning. Its about accepting that we are responsible for our own happiness. We are unlimited potential and it's up to us to do what we can with the circumstances we are given.

"I'm on the right track, baby,
I was born this way."

So rejoice in all your foibles, all your aches and pains, your ups and downs, your joys and sorrows. Embrace your talents, acknowledge your flaws, and remember that life is a discovery of who you are.






No comments:

Post a Comment

Express yourself here
criticize constructively
I am receptive