Wednesday, January 13, 2010

Stranded








It snowed over night.

In Calgary we have a unique advantage. We are capable of understanding all degrees of manic weather. It can dump a foot of snow in a matter of hours and we'll grumble and make our way to work slower than usual, but we still manage to get to work. It can go from -30 with a windchill of -50 to Chinooking and a high of 10 in a period of a week. We know what it's like to experience a hot, heavy summer day where heat radiates up off the concrete and power goes out all over the city because so many fans and air conditioning units are running.

But in London it doesn't really snow. Despite the media images we see of a 'snowy London Christmas', it's not a snowy place. Last year they had a snow day. A few inches fell and they had to close the tubes because of it.

This year the snow is causing chaos and newscasters are saying ,"We know you're tired of hearing that there's so much snow since we've been going on about it all week."

A week of snow and the city is in a frenzy of panic, unable to get out.

I'm equipped for such weather. I've got 'snow legs' and this beautiful powdering of snow is stunning to me. Everything is lush and green and the white snow layered on green ivy is a beautiful sight to see. I could easily don my boots, coat and hat and venture out to do...whatever. But the city isn't accommodating to my ability to cope. Trains are delayed or shut down entirely. People are being warned not to drive at all because snow tires don't happen in London and their tiny city cars aren't equipped for slush and ice.

So I'm stuck inside today.

I don't mind too much. I've got my new wardrobe set up and my room is beginning to come together quite nicely. I can nip out to get coat hangers and maybe spend some time painting in this space which is feeling more and more like home everyday.



It's the little things that are making me happiest. Like brushing my teeth. Cinnamon toothpaste doesn't happen over here. In fact, mint is the only thing they've got. They don't even do winter-green. But I found this stuff that has nothing to do with regular toothpaste and everything to do with tasting like a Pillow-Mint. Y'know those little pink, yellow, white and green squares you used to get at the til in restaurants? The ones they discovered had traces of urine in them because of how many people touched them after not washing their hands and using the toilet?



I loved those little things and I've discovered a toothpaste that tastes like them. Only available in England. It's brilliant.

And I feel quite at home in a place where an inch of snow makes everyone shut down because I have this advantage. This sort of weather invigorates me. That's the word for it.

So today I'm going to keep on posting my CV out and then I'm going to set out my new oils and I'm going play.

Let it snow, let it snow, let it snow.

1 comment:

  1. I am SO JEALOUS that you have a fireplace >_<

    In other news, it's been above zero degrees for like a week! Thanks for taking the snow with you to England. I just got back from Star Trek: The Music at the CPO, and it was magical.

    ReplyDelete

Express yourself here
criticize constructively
I am receptive