Friday, January 8, 2010

Direction on the Tube


After ten hours sleep I was feeling far more up to snuff than I thought I would today, despite having a cold and all. Not wanting this energy to go to waste, I headed out to the BUNAC office, which is the SWAP support program on this end. They helped me get my bank account information together and sent me over to Barclays where a lovely man named Anthony assisted me.


Following all that business I headed back home, catching the train at Angel and taking it to Colliers Wood. Whilst sitting on the tube a man next to me leaned across to the man sitting on the other side of me and showed him a piece of paper. It had 'Leicester Square' written on it. The man was Chinese and obviously did not have a great grasp of English. The man to my left seemed like he couldn't be bothered.


I can't tell you how many times I've been asked directions to some place in Calgary and I had no clue where it was. I always feel terrible about it because I love the idea of being helpful and knowing really fantastic directions somewhere. The moment I realised that the gentleman to my left was disinterested in providing help I removed my headphones and pulled my A to Z out of my bag. I showed the man to my right where Leicester Square station was on the Northern Line and how he had to get off at Kennington and get on Northern in the opposite direction on the other side. I knew the stop because that's where I went when I found Trafalgar Square, back in November.


The man was very grateful, although he still seemed very confused. I told him I'd let him know when he had to get off since I was traveling past Kennington. Then i put back on my headphones and smiled to myself.


I really do feel as though I'm home. I really do feel as if I've figured the city out, quite easily. I have a map and an Oyster Card and that's all you really need.


I don't want to push myself too much so I'm going to take it easy over the weekend. My plan is to apply for work on Monday and pick up a canvas and some oil paints whilst I'm out and about. Actually, I might get the canvas and oils this weekend. My art kit is still in Canada, until my mum ships it over. I figure I could use a new set of brushes anyway and seeing as I haven't any oils, I can start something new in a medium I've never explored. *laughs* Sounds a bit like my moving to London.

No comments:

Post a Comment

Express yourself here
criticize constructively
I am receptive