Friday, December 11, 2009

Kait's Mix Tape...an on-going Blog idea




This shall be the first of many posts about music.

I love music. It fuels my day, fills my life and gives my heart wings when I need it. My ipod is the equivalent of a bottomless Mix Tape. I've got play lists galore and almost every type of genre. I think my love of a broad spectrum of musical styles is due to the fact that I listen to lyrics. Whilst I'm incredibly talented creatively, none of that talent lies in song. I don't like most of my attempts at poetry, I'm tone deaf and the math behind notes boggles my mind. I leave it to others to fill the world with music, and I consume the words they write and melodious tones they provide ravenously and with great appreciation for their skills.

So it's lyrics I go after and the songs with words which inspire me most go onto a play list I call 'OCD Mix'. These are songs I can listen to on repeat and not tire of and it is this play list which is most often emitting from my computer as I paint. I've been painting more and more as of late, having discovered that this is, in fact, where my passion lies. One such painting was this pair of shoes, which I did in trade for services from a friend of mine who does videography. I'm really happy with the design, as I often am with my shoes. The true test will be his reaction upon seeing them, but I'm utterly confident that he will be pleased.

My musical recommendations:

'One Day Like This' - Elbow
First off, it's got stringed instruments in it. I tell people I love songs with strings and they immediately think I'm telling them I like classical. Don't get me wrong, I do like it, but there are plenty of songs with violin, cello and double bass in them that aren't written by Vivaldi, Bach or Beethoven.
Second, it's beautiful lyrically. Best line: 'Throw those curtains wide...'
'Breaking the Habit' - Linkin Park
Generally these guys are known for being angsty, which they totally are, but this song is less about wallowing and more about realising your potential and ability to master your own fate.
Best line:
'I don't know why I instigate and say what I don't mean. I don't know how I got this way, I know it's not alright, so I'm breaking the habit, I'm breaking the habit tonight.
For me this is all about changing how we define regret. Rather than longing to go back and change something, which we cannot do and waste far too much time wishing we could, it's about accepting responsibility for things we've done wrong and promising to surprise ourselves by doing them differently in the future.
'My Skin' - Natalie Merchant
Best line:
'I need the darkness, the sweetness, the sadness, the weakness'
I believe the song itself is about the demise of a relationship, but this line in particular means we need all the experiences life has to offer and to accept them as they are without feeling they are either 'good' or 'bad'. They just are what they are and if we hope to grow and change and learn we need it all: dark, sweet, sad and weak.
'I Got a Feelin' - Black Eyed Peas
Good to dance to and completely true.

No comments:

Post a Comment

Express yourself here
criticize constructively
I am receptive