Thursday, September 4, 2014

My Dad

Today is my dad's birthday.

When people ask about my parents I say the slightly inappropriate and outrageous side of me is from my mum whilst the contemplative nerdy side of me is my dad.

He is one of the greatest influences of my artwork. He's one of those people who can do a very simple sketch in a matter of moments and no one would have a doubt about what he'd just drawn. He's also an incredibly talented photographer, model airplane enthusiast and the best baker according to everyone who has ever had anything he's baked. This is because he's a scientist and baking is a hugely scientific endeavour. One of the most important things he taught me about cooking is: The fewer the ingredients, the more important they are.

Both my parents encouraged me to be the curious, inquisitive person I am today. Before Google, and even with Google, my dad is the person I'm most likely to go to with any questions I might have. He taught me how to play guitar, how to ride a bike and how to drive. He and I can happily sit and discuss things like the Theory of Relativity or the nature of doubt and not once need to refer to something online. He will pull from his seemingly unlimited bank of knowledge little tidbits and footnotes to fuel the conversation, which seems inexhaustible because of our enthusiasm for the subject matter.

I could go on and on about the general wonderfulness of my dad, but this blog does have another point. I decided on what to give my dad for his birthday some weeks ago and began work on it almost right away. But the work came to a stand still when I realised I could make it even better with the correct supplies - supplies I ordered on Friday when I got paid.

So without the supplies to hand the gift remains incomplete and this blog, which was meant to be a reveal of what I'd made for him, is instead a sort of muddled tribute and cliff-hanger of things to come.

The single hint I'll give is that the gift is one which reflects my dad's wisdom and knowledge. I know he'll love it as he's loved every thing I've ever given him. If I were making him a macaroni art piece he'd love it.

That's why I love my dad so much.


No comments:

Post a Comment

Express yourself here
criticize constructively
I am receptive