Thursday, February 24, 2011

An unexpected surprise


I was going to reveal another tarot card in today's entry but an email I received gave me something else I'd like to write about. Besides, I'm enjoying the slow reveal of my final pieces.

I was in London no more than a month when I received the first email from Cineffable, the organisers behind the Paris International Lesbian & Feminist Film Festival. They had seen my animation, 'Affinity' screened at the Toronto Queer West Film Festival and wanted me to submit it for their own festival. I filled in the rather lengthy application, burned a copy of 'Affinity' to a DVD and popped it in the post.

I didn't expect to hear anything. I've sent 'Affinity' to several festivals and never heard anything back. For a first animation, given that it's had four public screenings, I figure it's done well.

So this email today came as a pleasant surprise. Evidently my film wasn't chosen for the November 2010 screening, but it has been chosen to show in April 2011!

Making my animation was one of the most incredible experiences of my life. I loved every second of it and have even said that, if someone told me it was completely paid for, I'd sign up for animation school tomorrow. Now that my tarot paintings are complete I'm looking forward to the next project. I'm not the sort of person who intends to only have one identifiable career in their life. At the moment I do fundraiser support and graphic design at a charity, I'm editing one of my five completed novels with the intention of publication within the next two years, and with those paintings done I'm looking at how to complete the deck and where I can hold a gallery showing.

I still have that children's book on my To Do list, with no timeline to confine it to, just a thing to dabble in for the time being. And then there's animation. I long to animate again. I want to do a classic hand drawn piece. I'd love to try my hand at animated music videos for some of my favourite songs. Now that I have flash I think it would be fun to give computer animation a go too.

But, one thing at a time. The important thing is that I did complete 'Affinity' and it's still out there and still appreciated even three years on.

No comments:

Post a Comment

Express yourself here
criticize constructively
I am receptive