Monday, November 22, 2010

Sneak peek at Pema

Her eyes aren't quite right. This has been the thing I've struggled with since I began sketching her out weeks ago. First they were too big. I adjusted this and on the weekend I thought I'd paint them in properly. Now her irises are different sizes. I still like the piece but it is frustrating me. What's frustrating me most is that I don't feel like I have enough time to work on it. I like painting in the cool light of day and by the time I get home the sun has set and the yellow light of my room is all I have to work with.

My intention with this piece? Well, besides doing it out of pure enjoyment as a tribute to a woman for whom I have great admiration, I plan to submit it to the BP Portrait Awards. When I arrived here in January they were accepting submissions for the 2010 awards. It was this competition that Sadie Lee was entered into so many years ago, which is how she has come to be an artist for hire through the National Portrait Gallery.

I don't know that the painting will get anywhere with this particular competition, but I figure it never hurts to have something to work towards. Either way it's challenging me to do a proper portrait and because of my respect and love for Pema Chodron I want to accurately capture her spirit with this work.

I long for a whole day of painting. A day when I know everyone else will be in their offices and my office can be wherever my easel is set up. I long for days where I can set up my paints, brushes and pallet and spend hours without a break, just creating.


No comments:

Post a Comment

Express yourself here
criticize constructively
I am receptive