Monday, June 14, 2010

Always in Transition

"Most things I worry about never happen anyway."
- Tom PettyThis is Mabel.

She's smiling. She is a Buddha cat.


This is Gertrude.


She's very earnest. She's also a lover of food and dispenser of affection.


And last, but not least: This is Delirium.

She's a bit mad, a bit loud and a bit more like an owl-monkey-ewok-puppy than a cat, but she's good at giving kisses and she knows when you need a cuddle.

I think we can learn a lot from animals. They, just like us, want to be loved, to be happy, to be warm, sheltered and feel safe. They also can't help but be what they are meant to be. A cat catches birds, rolls in dirt and chews grass because that is what cats do. They're very good at living their life as they are meant to and I don't think anyone can argue that cats just don't seem to worry an awful lot.

I'm a very good worrier. I've perfected it, which isn't something to brag about. It means I'm really good at thinking of all the potential things that could go wrong, all the things that I perceive as currently going wrong and all the things that have gone wrong before. I know this is foolish because I know the following things:

1. Change is constant, therefore nothing lasts, good, bad or otherwise.

2. We are always in transition because change is constant, therefore nothing will ever 'settle-down' and it is foolish to expect it to.

3. I am the master of my own destiny and I have the ability to focus my mind, therefore I must give myself time and compassion and remember to meditate.

It's really easy to forget that we're very much in charge of our own lives when so many things seem to be out of our control. I don't think I could possibly improve upon how this fact was put in the serenity prayer.

"God, grant me the serenity
To accept the things I cannot change;
Courage to change the things I can;
And wisdom to know the difference"

Whether you believe in a god or goddess, the universe, Buddha, Allah or none of the above, we all have the ability to accept the things we cannot change, courage to change the things we can and the wisdom to know the difference. Interestingly enough I've found it takes more courage to change the way I think about something and the way I choose to feel than it took to decide to move to London. It takes far more chutzpah to tackle my own bad habits of thought pattern than to tackle the challenge of creating a not for profit organisation. It definitely took a lot to accept that, if I'm going bean artist and I'm going to get published, I must be my own biggest fan, greatest support and strongest voice.

Thankfully I have three lovely furry examples. Mabel reminds me to take time to rest and to rest fully in the moment, letting go of all those negative thoughts. Gertrude reminds me about having compassion for myself and therefore for everyone around me, including the trouble-makers. Delirium reminds me to play, to be a bit mad, and to talk when I need to. And as they are cats, all three remind me that it's important to be alone for a while and to take a moment for self reflection.

1 comment:

  1. Kait!
    This entry completely applies to how I'm feeling as of late. I am conciously reminding myself that it isn't about what keeps "coming up" or inconveniencing me, if you will. It's about how I'm reacting to these things that are coming up. Right now I'm reacting like I really don't want to deal with any of it, but I have to. Maybe I should just stop thinking and start doing. But alas, it's Monday. So I'll start on that on Tuesday. Hahahah.
    Love Nic
    PS: My word verification is phallus. Fucking awesome!

    ReplyDelete

Express yourself here
criticize constructively
I am receptive