Thursday, November 12, 2009

Why London?













The most common question I get when I tell people I’m moving to London, besides clarifying that I mean London, England, not London, Ontario, is “Why?”


Generally I laugh and say, “Why not?”


But “Why not” is about the same as “Because” as far as answers go. There are so many cities to choose from, dozens on par with London. I could have chosen New York or Paris or returning to Melbourne. I didn’t though, and the reason isn’t just “Why not.”


I chose London because of the Thames, Big Ben, Trafalgar Square, Buckingham Palace and Bishop’s Gate.
I chose London because of the London Taxi.
I chose London for sparkly lights.
I chose London for museums with no entry charge. For museums in huge, old buildings. For museums containing things I’ve always wanted to see.
I chose London for the art and the music.
I chose London because my grandma was English and I’ve wanted come since I was a little girl.
I chose London because I love the accents.

I chose London because it's been too long since I've looked after me.

I chose London because I want to see all of Europe and this seemed like a good start.
I chose London because I would rather say I shouldn't have done something than wonder what would have happened if I hadn't.


Or…and…
I chose London because it chose me. Because when the Universe whacks you over the head with oppourtunity you’d be foolish not to pay attention and take advantage of it.

No comments:

Post a Comment

Express yourself here
criticize constructively
I am receptive