Monday, November 23, 2009

Art and Psychology


I like to say there is a fine line between insanity and creativity. We get it in our head to do some brilliant thing and it might seem crazy and it might turn out to be just that, but we do it anyway.

Today I saw my psychologist, who I affectionately refer to as my 'most expensive friend'. I don't think she's paid to love me. As she herself said in an anecdote, I pay for the therapy. The love is free.

She recently told me I was her 'star-student', which took me by surprise. I take it as a compliment, just as I did when she told me I'm not neurotic. She confirmed that indeed, I was neurotic when I first came to her, but I'm not now.

If anything, she is my compass. As I've worked through the negativity, the neurosis, the kleshas and the shenpa, she has been there nudging me and forcing me to think. I have always been capable of creating the things I do, of running my own life and living it as I wish to, but the reminders were nice. It helped a lot and I think of her more as a coach and a Buddhist teacher than as a shrink. Our time together always fuels my inspiration and gives me fresh ideas and something new to ponder.
Whilst I painted two more dragons, I reflected on today's session. I know I've come a long way in the last year and I know I'm going in an amazing direction, but I also really like right where I am at any given moment.

*This entry is dedicated to the late, great Rev. Ron of CJSW 90.9fm. A great man who 'got it' and knew just how to live right...and was just about one the craziest people I knew.*

No comments:

Post a Comment

Express yourself here
criticize constructively
I am receptive