Wednesday, September 4, 2013

And the exciting news is...

When I hear people say things like, "You should do that when you're young, before you have to settle down and be responsible," I smile and nod, knowing the sort of world they're living in to make such a statement.

In my world 'settling down' doesn't exist because I know that change is constant. 

I also believe life is an adventure and you're NEVER too old for an adventure. 

And if you have children I see absolutely no reason why they wouldn't accompany you on adventures, as it will expand their minds and teach them to go beyond dreaming to actually achieving. 

And just because you're adventuring doesn't mean you shouldn't be responsible. 

Whether we like it or not we are responsible for ourselves and the impact we will have on everything around us. Having fun, exploring, and creating are not exclusive of being responsible.

I bang on about this a lot. I think it's the theme of my blog, if my blog actually has a theme considering all the tangents I go on: Life is uncertain. The only certainty is that each and every one of us will die. We don't know when that will be but it is an inevitability we all face. For that reason alone you should never settle down, never stop having adventures, never stop learning, never stop being curious.

You won't know the places you'll go if you feel like there's a point when things 'settle'.

I didn't settle for administration jobs in charity just because it was something I was good at. I didn't settle when I was offered a raise because more money meant nothing if the job didn't also feed my soul and use my creativity. I didn't settle just because financial stability provides me with a sense of security that is better for my mental health.

I stepped off the edge and I went after what I wanted and in just under seven months I went from a job that was demoralising and draining to being a professional Creative Polymath. I am a published author, a skilled graphic designer, and now, also, a Brand Development Manager.

Don't just follow your dreams. Turn them into goals and make them your reality.

No comments:

Post a Comment

Express yourself here
criticize constructively
I am receptive