Tuesday, October 20, 2009

Sketched Out







I'm bringing all my sketchbooks with me to London. This is because they are references of my work. I look back at them and I'm either extremely pleased to see how I've grown or amazed at something I did when I was fifteen or sixteen.

Either way, they are important to my growth as an artist because they give a timeline to my life. There are points when I sketched daily and times when I'd go months without touching them. There are drawings during vacations or during times when I was struggling with something. It's like an illustrated version of my journals. Granted, I've got about thirty plus journals and seven sketchbooks.

They're my picture archives and I'm looking to them for inspiration and looking to them to see how I've grown and how I can still grow. Given that my beginnings as an artist were watching my brother and dad sketch something and then attempting to re-create, it's only natural that I find an ability to motivate myself by re-visiting them on occasion.

3 comments:

  1. That is an impressive number of journals! A sketchbook grows even more important as the time passes. I would love to see a series of self portraits in mine- (never done).

    Glad you are taking yours to London. Please draw in it every day- even if for 30 seconds. You will treasure this in 20 or 30 years. I barely remember my first trip to Europe at age 18!

    Buzzing around the net I got to this link, which, I think, was meant for you:

    http://www.guardian.co.uk/artanddesign

    Enjoy the UK- looking forward to your posts from across the pond!

    ReplyDelete
  2. Aww! Thanks so very much! Very cool link. I'll have to spend some time perusing it.

    ReplyDelete

Express yourself here
criticize constructively
I am receptive