Friday, October 16, 2009

Born Creativity

"I want to live in your childhood," my roommate said as I sorted through boxes of old toys.

In preparation for my departure to England I've been purging. Actually, I've been purging a lot in the past year just because. I have very little use for things anymore and it's becoming increasingly easy to simply get rid of stuff I'd often justified holding on to for sentimental reasons.

Initially, as I sorted through my old dolls and their accessories, I had the intention of throwing out a large chunk of it. I knew I'd come across my contributions, as it were. I'd often make 'things' for my dolls, as the toy companies never provided much more than cheesy cardboard cutout pictures of items. I would make little accessories, clothes and gadgets for my dolls. I never really thought of them as anything significant or worth keeping, until I was reading a blog post from a fellow artist. In it she had put her original self-portrait, drawn as a child. It was an adorable pencil scratch sketch and as important to her as any self-portrait she'd done since. Having something like that is like having a physical chunk of our potential.

So I'm keeping a few things, at least for a little while, because they are my root. From books to a tiny paper cigarette case to a camera to a sewing machine to a jar of relish...these are so much like the strange scribbled portraits we do of ourselves as children.


Very Original Artwork by Katy Hatch. (But remember not to call me Katy.)





P.S. There was a banana but the former mentioned roommate has taken it as her own.

No comments:

Post a Comment

Express yourself here
criticize constructively
I am receptive