Tuesday, March 4, 2014

Canada's Greatest Export - Kait's Mixtape

'Stupid'
Sarah McLachlan

I suspect it was on 22 Minutes, a very Canadian show about politics, that I heard the joke about Sarah McLachlan being Canada's greatest export over and above softwood lumber and oil. 

She is one of my favourite artists of all time. Her voice is absolutely incredible and I ache to be able to sing a song the way she does. Seriously, she is NOT someone I should sing along with because I try to match her range - and I can't - resulting in a sound like a strangled cat. 

Her best known 'export' is probably the song Angel. It's been used in so many charity appeals I couldn't list them all. Off the top of my head World Vision, Red Cross and the Tsunami Relief appeal for Japan all chose this heart wrenchingly beautiful piece to accompany dramatic shots of starving children, homeless victims and the dramatic impact of a natural disaster. 

I do enjoy Angel but Sarah has put out somewhere around eleven albums, several compilations and has had her music selected for various remixes, so this is just one song of so many. 

I don't know that I have a favourite song as it depends on my mood but I can honestly say, no matter my mood, there is a Sarah McLachlan song that will suit. 

No comments:

Post a Comment

Express yourself here
criticize constructively
I am receptive