Tuesday, March 25, 2014

Another Canadian! - Kait's Mixtape

'Short-Term Soulmate'
Bryce Kulak
Many years ago I was involved in Campy fYrefly, a weekend camp for GBLQT youth in Alberta. Along with workshops to encourage leadership and advocacy the camp also invited local members of the community to do talks. One such guest was Bryce Kulak, an Edmonton musician with a very similar sound to another Canadian, Rufus Wainwright.

I bought his CD, which contained five tracks, primarily because I adored Pelican. This was the only track to grace my OCD playlist until just a few weeks ago. Because his CD was only five tracks I kept them all on my iPod and would stumble across them when I decided to do a full shuffle of every track on there.

It was a particularly gorgeous sunny day when this track came on. I was wandering around with no particular destination in mind, just enjoying walking for the sake of it. It was as if the universe knew I was feeling particularly light in my heart and wanted to give me a suitable celebratory song. It was a moment of great clarity when it reached the final crescendo and I thought, 'Yes... yes I am.'

No comments:

Post a Comment

Express yourself here
criticize constructively
I am receptive