Tuesday, February 16, 2010

The Art of Hair





I love my hair. It's thick and there is a lot of it, so I've got this ability to shape it however I please without the aid of products and it will stay. My FauxHawk has been my hair cut of choice for ten years (I know, right?!) and it suits me well. In Spring I break out the bright colours, usually starting off with the full rainbow before I return to ol' faithful blue. Sometimes I mix it up with a shock of pink or by leaving it blond a few days between colours. Come winter I let it grow out once more, to its natural rich dark brown. I have taken to getting stars shaved in the sides, sometime on both and sometimes on just one side. For the last year I enjoyed a rat tail revival, which was ended abruptly at the hands of my best friend the day before I left for London.

And through it all, my hair has been cut and cared for by one fabulous woman. Originally a hairdresser at Sears, she has gone on to open her own salon and she has been the only person I've trusted with my hair for the last ten years. I love her. She's brilliant because when I went to her and asked for a FauxHawk, they weren't hugely popular yet and I had to provide photos and description. She listened carefully, took direction and produced what has become my Perfect Style. I tried a pixie a year ago and I buzzed it at the end of one summer just to rid my head of the colour, but my FauxHawk always re-emerges.

But Hair Movement is in Canada and as much as I'd like to fill my pockets with my favourite people, alas, I could not. So Kim, along with many others, is 4,000 miles away and I found myself going to the WitchesHut on recommendation.

I brought my star template and was prepared to give great direction on what was happening to my head. The only other time I let someone other than Kim cut my hair in the past ten years was when I was desperate for a cut and booking with her meant waiting two weeks. I went to one of those horrible walk-in places where they process heads on an assembly line and most of the cuts they're doing are standard. The result could only be described as 'butchering' of my hair and I resolved to always be patient in the future, rather than compromising my style.

Miguel was friendly and receptive, though. He listened to my description, looked at a photo and was able to see the lines of how my hair had been cut before. As a result, my trademark look is fresh and sharp this morning. I'm absolutely delighted and pleased with what he's done and I think Kim would be happy to know my hair is in good hands.

I myself limit my expertise with hair to the bleaching and colouring of it. Cutting it is an art I have no desire to learn, but something I admire. Both Kim and Miguel love what they do and always have. Both have told me that they wanted nothing more than to be hairdressers (Or maybe a rock star.) and that they have passion for what they do.

I believe it.

Life is too short to work a job you hate. When you do what you love, you will be successful and your clientele will love you for it.

2 comments:

  1. Inquiring minds want photos, Kait!!!

    Love ya!

    XO

    ReplyDelete
  2. Ah yes, but I've misplaced my camera. As soon as I find it I'll be sure to post current pictures of what looks like the same hair cut I've had for ten years...just to satisfy you, T.

    ReplyDelete

Express yourself here
criticize constructively
I am receptive