Thursday, August 28, 2008

The Life and Times of a Kaitlyn


Currently I a working two jobs to help sustain me. By night I'm an IKEA Co-worker, which is actually a pretty decent place to work because they have flexible hours and totally take care of their staff. Plus the discount is fabulous for decorating my howse.

By day I'm a Youth Animation Project Participant, a government funded program run by the incredible staff of the Quickdraw Animation Society in Calgary.

I think who you are and what you do should be one and the same and I have come to discover that, not only am I a writer, activist, sculptor and painter, but I'm an animator too. I've always had a soft spot for animation in general. Since I was wee my parents would take me and my brother to film festivals or take collections of shorts out of the library to expand our minds.

The National Film Board shorts collections have a wonderful place in my memories, from 'The Cat came Back' to 'The Big Snit' to 'Wallace and Gromit'. My favourite animators are Nick Parks and Bill Plympton. One is whimsical, cute and amusing and the other twisted, provocative and just plain strange. I'm also quite fond of Don Hertzfeldt...which just happens to be the name given to the computer I'm currently writing this on.

Being involved in YAP has inspired me in a lot of ways...to start this Blog, to identify more strongly as an artist, and to see where I can go in a world full of creativity. *smiles softly*

No comments:

Post a Comment

Express yourself here
criticize constructively
I am receptive