Monday, May 20, 2013

Japan - Beautiful Design


I’m on a very tight budget while in Japan - which is challenging because there are some amazing and wondrous things I’d like to bring back with me. For example, I went into a department store in Kyoto where they had thousands upon thousands of cases for iPhones. Some of them were made to look like Japanese wood cut art, others like folded paper envelopes, and others were clear with little characters that ‘interact’ with the apple on the back - like a worm taking a bite or the apple acting as the eye for some silly cartoon character. 

Then there are the shops full of Tenugui, a traditional Japanese cloth dating back to the 8th century. 
 



The designs are extremely diverse. Some of unbelievably elegant whilst others are bold and bright. 

And the pottery! I’ve been snapping shots of the pottery every chance I get. Stunning bowls, cups and plates covered in cherry blossoms, bold coi or intricate dragons. 

Needless to say, I’m getting flooded with ideas. So many patterns I can design and play with. So many different materials they can be applied to. So many different functions. 

I will be expanding on the few experimental designs I’ve already done for my shop. I’m definitely letting Japanese art influence my work from here on in. 

No comments:

Post a Comment

Express yourself here
criticize constructively
I am receptive