Friday, March 19, 2010

Yet another new medium

Last Wednesday I was given the most fantastic opportunity to try my hand at stained glass. I'm a huge fan and after watching a brilliant programme on it (Have I mentioned how absolutely fabulous British television is?) I was inspired by the history. If you think about it, stained glass was the television of the medieval ages, where stories were depicted through bright colours illuminated in the sun. The skill that went into these pieces is incredible to behold and I think the root of my love for churches stems from my love for all the art they present to the world. From gruesome gargoyles to stunning windows, churches are one of my favourite structures to seek out, marvel at and photograph.





I've been able to see more and more fantastic churches since hopping across the pond and all the glass work has been making me itch to try it.

I'm happy to report I have, and I've gone back for more. I intend to continue returning as it's not only fun to do, but I gain a great sense of satisfaction from it. Besides, I have a phenomenal teacher. Lynette Wrigley provides a fun atmosphere, where you are free to explore the medium and ask for support as needed.

My first project is a plumeria, which I'm really chuffed with. I've begun the foil on it and by the next class I might have my first completed piece!





No comments:

Post a Comment

Express yourself here
criticize constructively
I am receptive